Modular Vs Carpentry: Which is better?
Your ultimate guide to understanding the entirety of Modular and Carpenter-made homes. Find out which suits you better!
Are you a trend junkie? Do you move in the direction of what’s in vogue? Then you must have stumbled across ‘Modular Designs’ – The à la mode of interiors! Almost every homeowner today is being suggested to go Modular! But how different is it from the traditional carpenter-made homes? What are the combined assets and barriers? Let’s find out.
Modulars 101: All the Ins and Outs you need to know!
We live in a world where we strive to lead a hassle-free life, that which doesn’t stir up our minds. Everything from technology to home construction, we want things simple and easy! And that’s exactly what resonates with a modular home.
The next time you come across ‘Modular kitchen’, or ‘Modular wardrobe’, we don’t want you to phase out. So, here’s a detailed overview.
Timeline Of Modular Construction
- Site measurements will be taken.
- You will be given a choice to select laminates and hardware.
- The machine takes over from here right from cutting to laminate pressing and edge banding.
- Parts of furniture are directly assembled at the site within 2-3 days
- Your furniture is ready to use!
Perks Of Modular Designs
- Modular imparts a sleek and high-end look to the house
- Professionals design and customise it as per the homeowner’s choice. They ensure utmost functionality with optimum space management.
- 3D renders are proposed as per the requirements so that the homeowner can visualise the overall final design before fabrication.
- Modular comes with a flawless machine-made finish. The shutters are evenly pressed and perfectly finished with no open edges. This gives a neat and seamless look. Also, this ensures that no pests, termites or bacteria enter the cabinets giving you clean and hygienic furniture.
- Efficiently designed units can solve your storage issues at once.
- The swanky accessories and materials in modular make even the inaccessible corners of your home comprehensible.
- There are many options to choose from, including colours, finishes and materials.
- Modulars have transparent pricing. Once the design is finalised, the final quotation remains fixed.
- Modular takes just one decision, easy-and-quick planning, and fuss-free installation.
- The result is spot-on and spotless!
Drawbacks Of Modular
- It’s an expensive affair!
- Once the production is on no changes can be incorporated.
- The wood used in modular may disintegrate when exposed to moisture
Carpenter- Made: Benefits and Downsides
As the name suggests, carpenter-made furniture is more of traditional workmanship which is quite prevalent in India. We have a varied source of skilled carpenters and craftsmen who can create exactly what you like with the materials you provide. However, the finish and chances of errors are also quite comprisable.
For better understanding, take a look at the pros and cons of Carpenter-made designs.
Timeline Of Carpentry Design
- You will choose the design and the type of ply you want to use for making furniture.
- The homeowner will procure the materials along with the carpenter.
- During the making and fixing process, the owner needs to coordinate with the carpenters.
- The entire process may take weeks to finish.
Perks Of Carpenter-made
- You can be your own designer as you can take an active part in the design process.
- Unlike modular, alterations can be made in carpentry work.
- The homeowner can keep a check on the construction process time-to-time.
- Carpentry uses much durable wood which you can buy on your own.
- Carpenters are locally available and can be sourced easily.
- Pricing can be flexible by negotiating with the carpenters.
Drawbacks Of Carpenter-made
- Since this type of furniture is fabricated at an actual site, a lot of noise and dust is generated during the making, which can cause distress to the homeowner.
- The cabinets are permanently fixed which makes it difficult to dismantle or shift the furniture to a different location.
- The progress in the work can delay due to procurement issues, or other labour-related delays.
- A carpenter-made design can take anywhere between 6-8 weeks to complete.
- If you want modern and contemporary designs, most carpenters may not possess the required skills.
Modular furniture is more efficient in terms of design, utilisation of space, durability and hassle-free installation. If you have modern decor, modular furniture is highly recommended. However, if you need more of a traditional and medieval style of decor, go for traditional carpentry.