Your ultimate guide to understanding the entirety of Modular and Carpenter-made homes. Find out which suits you better!
Are you a trend junkie? Do you move in the direction of what’s in vogue? Then you must have stumbled across ‘Modular Designs’ - The à la mode of interiors! Almost every homeowner today is being suggested to go Modular! But, how different is it from the traditional carpenter-made homes? What are the combined assets and barriers? Let’s find out.
Modulars 101: All The Ins and Outs You Need To Know!
We live in a world where we strive to lead a hassle-free life, that which doesn’t stir up our minds. Everything from technology to home construction, we want things simple and easy!
And that’s exactly what resonates with a modular home.
The next time you come across a Modular kitchen or Modular wardrobe, we don’t want you to phase out. So here’s a detailed overview.
Timeline Of Modular Construction
Site measurements will be taken.
You will be given a choice to select laminates and hardware.
The machine takes over from here right from cutting to laminate pressing and edge banding.
Parts of furniture are directly assembled at the site within 2-3 days
Your furniture is ready to use!
Perks Of Modular Designs
● Modular imparts a sleek and high-end look to the house
● Professionals design and customise it as per the homeowner’s choice. They ensure utmost functionality with optimum space management.
● 3D renders are proposed as per the requirements so that the homeowner can visualise the overall final design before fabrication.
● Modular comes with a flawless machine-made finish. The shutters are evenly pressed and perfectly finished with no open edges. This gives a neat and seamless look. Also, this ensures that no pests, termites or bacteria enter the cabinets giving you clean and hygienic furniture.
● Efficiently designed units can solve your storage issues at once.
● The swanky accessories and materials in modular make even the inaccessible corners of your home comprehensible.
● There are many options to choose from, including colours, finishes, and materials.
● Modulars have transparent pricing. Once the design is finalised, the final quotation remains fixed.
● Reputed modular manufacturing brands offer great warranty periods and the parts are easily replaceable and interchangeable in case of any damage.
● Modular takes just one decision, easy-and-quick planning, and fuss-free installation.
● The result is spot-on and spotless!
Drawbacks Of Modular
● It’s an expensive affair!
● Once the production is on no changes can be incorporated.
● The wood used in modular may disintegrate when exposed to moisture.
Carpenter- Made: Benefits and Downsides
As the name suggests, carpenter-made furniture is more of traditional workmanship which is quite prevalent in India. We have a varied source of skilled carpenters and craftsmen who can create exactly what you like with the materials you provide. However, the finish and chances of errors are also quite compromisable.
For better understanding, take a look at the pros and cons of Carpenter-made designs.
Timeline Of Carpentry Design
You will choose the design and the type of ply you want to use for making furniture.
The homeowner will procure the materials along with the carpenter.
During the making and fixing process, the owner needs to coordinate with the carpenters.
The entire process may take weeks to finish.
Perks Of Carpenter-made
● You can be your own designer as you can take an active part in the design process.
● Unlike modular, alterations can be made in carpentry work.
● The homeowner can keep a check on the construction process time-to-time.
● Carpentry uses much durable wood which you can buy on your own.
● Pricing can be flexible by negotiating with the carpenters.
Drawbacks Of Carpenter-made
● Since this type of furniture is fabricated at an actual site, a lot of noise and dust is generated during the making, which can cause distress to the homeowner.
● The cabinets are permanently fixed which makes it difficult to dismantle or shift the furniture to a different location.
● The progress in the work can delay due to procurement issues, or other labour-related delays.
● A carpenter-made design can take anywhere between 6-8 weeks to complete.
● If you want modern and contemporary designs, most carpenters may not possess the required skills.
Modular furniture is more efficient in terms of design, utilisation of space, durability and hassle-free installation. If you have modern decor, modular furniture is highly recommended.
However, if you need more of a traditional and medieval style of decor, go for traditional carpentry.
Q: Can carpenters make modular furniture?
A: For shutters, panels and cabinets, the factory-made mechanism is mandatory for a neat finish. If you ask a carpenter to make these, he may do it in a traditional way which will not give you a streamlined finish.
Q: Why is modular expensive?
A: Typically the budget of a modular depends on the size of the installation. Various other factors like materials and finishes also affect the overall cost of the project. If you need heavy-duty materials that last a lifetime, the designer might have to procure them from high-end brands which can overboard the expected budget.
Q: Is modular furniture durable?
A: In modular, engineered wood is used which is preferred in the long run for its durability.